Data Scientist, Homo Digitalis (NGO)
Title of Paper:
Artificial Intelligence and Anthropomorphism
Subdisciplinary Area: Artificial Intelligence
Keywords: anthropomorphism, Artificial Intelligence, applications
Abstract: One of the major areas of research and development in the field of Artificial Intelligence is the creation of applications with anthropomorphic features. From chat-bots to robots-medical assistants, anthropomorphic features are present in an increasing number of artificial intelligence applications. Utilization of anthropomorphism raises a significant number of ethical, social, psychological and legal issues, in so far that the relationships between human and machine become more complex and the lines between human and machine interlocutors are blurred.
This work focuses on five different points of impact of anthropomorphism on artificial intelligence applications:
• The impact and change that anthropomorphism introduces on relationships between humans.
• Ethical and legal issues that stem from the use of robots that misleadingly appear to act autonomously.
• The psychological impact of anthropomorphism in sensitive cases, such as the digital revival of deceased people.
• The dangers that are introduced by the malicious use of anthropomorphic applications that seem to express public opinions.
• Applications that make almost impossible to distinguish the identity of the interlocutor. Is it possible for the machine to naturally appear as human?